City & Guilds Functional Skills qualification in English at Entry 1
- Read and understand short simple texts that explain or recount information
- Read and understand simple regular words and sentences
- Understand short texts on familiar topics and experiences
- Write short simple sentences
- Use written words and sentences to present information
- Construct simple sentences using full stops
- Spell correctly some personal or very familiar words
Speaking & Listening
- Participate in and understand the main points of simple discussions
- Understand the main points of short explanations
- Understand and follow instructions
- Ask simple questions to obtain specific information
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for students who:
- Would like to improve their every- day English skills
- Are taking a Vocational course for which English is needed
- Would like to improve their English skills in order to start a vocational programme
At the end of the course there will be two paper based tests (Reading & Writing) and a recorded conversation for Speaking & Listening. You will have one hour to answer each paper test. You can take the tests on different days. You will get the results in the same week and guidance about progression routes.
To start on this course you need to show at Initial Assessment that this is a suitable level for your current skills.
Future opportunities / career options
This course prepares you for progression to the Entry Level 2 Functional Skills English course, or for progression to an Entry Level 3 vocational course.