City & Guilds Functional Skills qualification in English at Entry 3
- Understand the main points of texts including diagrams or graphs (texts are of more than one paragraph at this level)
- Obtain specific information through detailed reading
- Scan texts and use organisational features Eg: Contents, index, menus
- Use strategies to read and understand texts in different format: Web page/ application form
- Plan draft and organise writing
- Sequence writing logically and clearly
- Use basic grammar including appropriate verb tense and subject verb agreement
- Spell correctly and check for accuracy
Speaking & Listening
- Use techniques to clarify understanding
- Give own point of view and listen to others’ point of view
- Use formal and informal language as appropriate
- Follow the main points of discussion
- Respect other people’s turn to talk
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for students who:
- have achieved Entry Level 2 Functional Skills
- are taking a vocational course for which English is needed
- would like to brush up on their English skills in order to start a vocational programme
At the end of the course there will be two paper based tests (Reading & Writing) and 2 recorded conversations for Speaking & Listening. You will have 45 minutes to answer each paper test. You can take the tests on different days. You will get your results in the same week and guidance about progression routes.
To start on this course you need to show at initial assessment that this is a suitable level for your current skills.
Future opportunities / career options
This course prepares you for progression to the Level 1 Functional Skills English course, or for progression to an Entry Level 3 vocational course.